1. Art director instructions with layout, deadlines & contract.
2. Thumbnail sketch ideas.
-Scales...concept, design, value patterns/lighting, room for type.
3. Photo shoot of model(s). Time/cost restraints makes photo reference necessary.
-Studies from life keep me re-charged and the eye sharp.
4. Black & white or color sketch(s)/comp(s).
-Chords & harmonies...schemes...palettes.
5. Art director approval on sketch(s) by deadline.
-Possible changes on characters, scene etc... Re-approval if necessary.
6. Execute the finish(s).
7. Turn in artwork. Art director approval on finish(s) by deadline.
Here are some paintings at step #6. Client: LDS Church Magazines.
I wash the graphite drawing with the color that dictates scene palette temperature.
Finishes: 20x16 oil on illustration board.